It’s been a long day, so today you get a short version of six things I’ve discovered so far in London:
- Escalators. They move freaking fast here – you gotta pay attention or you’re definitely potentially falling down 5 stories of escalator.
- Underground Depth. Yes, you heard me, 5 stories. That’s what it looks like on some of them. The height of the escalators is sometimes dizzying. Certain tube lines are ridiculously far underground.
- Lord of the Rings. I’m convinced that London Transport has given a code name to MORDOR and you can get there via the Northern Line. Morden Station = Mordor.
- Smoking. Londoners must die young or have a high rate of lung cancer, cause there are so many smokers here! No smoking in pubs and restauarnts, just like in Canada. This means you see a crapload of people standing outside the front door of all the pubs with a beer in one hand and a ciggarette in the other.
- Street Crossings. I’m slowly but surely getting used to this whole “look the opposite way” thing before crossing the street. It’s more of a turn-360-degrees-and-make-sure-nothing-is-coming-at-you kind of thing. Or you just follow everyone else and hope you don’t die because they didn’t see a car racing down the street.
- Phone Data. Guess what? Today I bought a pre-paid sim card for £15. That gets me something reasonable for calls, something like 1000 texts, and UNLIMITED DATA. Yeah. I KNOW. IT’S AMAZING.