Better late than never, as they say! My annual year in review for 2013 begins now. In summary, it’s been a very full and eventful year. Some of my friends left Hugo & Cat but I also have made new ones this year too. I got a new work visa to stay in the UK another three years, I achieved the next level of kickboxing belt, I went surfing in Spain and I dyed my hair red. I only hope 2014 is even better and just as eventful!
- Sherrie and I attended possibly one of the most cheesy (but very fun) musicals in London, Viva Forever. Sherrie, you spice up my life!
- London got snow – always seems to come in January! I hope it comes soon again this year.
- Happy Birthday Miriam!
- Booked flights home to Canada to sort out a new visa in the summer.
- I started the great cake adventure of 2013, beginning with a red velvet cheesecake which won hearts and fans.
- I won tickets to the Kensington Roof Gardens for a movie date with my girl Sherrie
- In the midst of a very bitterly frigid winter, Mother Nature graced us with balmy double figure temperatures. The people of London rejoice.
- More cake. This time a chocolate peanut butter layer cake. Mmmmmmmmm.
- Anita took me to see Justin Timberlake at the Forum, where as he walks on stage I promptly reverted to my 15 year old self, squealing like all the teenage girls I despise at concerts. HOW DOES HE DO THAT?!
- I fell into a massive girl crush for J-Law. F*cking amazing woman. See her awesomeness here.
- Rich left Hugo & Cat, so I made a carrot cake for him. A carrot cake that still continues to be requested to this day.
- Cake continues… with carrots.
- I made a Chocolate Guinness Cake for the St. Patricks Day Hugo & Cat bake-off. Disaster ensued. I cried. Further detail of the incident here.
- My good friend James left Hugo & Cat, so I made him a carrot cake too. Gee, lots of cake in March eh?
- Booked a trip to Edinburgh for May. HERE I COME SCOTLAND!
- James’ annual pub crawl. Always a winner. I made it to all 24 pubs this year and by the end of the day was ready to collapse and just sleep on the sidewalk, from fatigue (not intoxication).
- Oreo cheesecake!
- I started assisting classes at Springhealth kickboxing and spending a ridiculous amount of time at the gym in general as I also started training towards my next belt.
- Attempted another chocolate guinness cake. This one managed to stay off the pavement.
- The weather finally starts to get better and Joelle and I get our annual picnic in Green Park.
- Due to the warmer climate, we also begin our work lunches in the park.
- I take a lovely first class train journey on a beautiful day up to Edinburgh. Lovely. I meet some awesome ladies at my hostel and proceed to spend most of time with them. Miss you Maria and Lara!
- Johnny leaves Hugo & Cat, thus continuing the mass exodus of my work friends in 2013. 😦
- I head back to Kensington Roof Gardens with the lovely Anita for some cocktails!
- The Sound of Change at Twickenham Stadium brought Beyonce and friends to London. Then somebody decided to jump in front of train stopping transport back into central London which meant 3 miles walk, 3 train stations, 1 train, and a £55 cab ride home.
- I spent a very painful £550 extra for my summer flights home to Canada, having to push the dates back to fit with my new work visa application.
- I reached my one year anniversary for kickboxing, and I’m still hooked!
- Went to the zoo for the very first time in my life. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! 😀
- Went to my very first live filming of a television show, the Graham Norton Show. Guests were Sandra Bullock, Samuel L Jackson, and Nick Frost. It was quite the fun night with my ladies from kickboxing. 🙂
- Business trip to Helsinki – always love these!
- Nam visits from Vancouver on his way through London to a trip around Europe. We went to see Thriller Live!, which was quite fun.
- My girl Sherrie and I brought sexy back at the Wireless Festival with Justin Timberlake. JT never disappoints! 😀
- I graded and passed for my next kickboxing belt, Red 2. Pretty sure it was the hottest day of the year, but we did it!
- Twenty-fifth birthday celebrations with friends in the beer gardens, whoop whoop!
- Got my new Nokia Lumia 925 and I still absolutely love it! Wouldn’t go back to iPhone now.
- I went home to Canada for a couple of weeks while I applied for a new work visa to stay in the UK. I’m now legally able to stay for another 3 years!
- Got to see one of my best friends play Joseph in the local production of Joseph and the technicolor dreamcoat three times!
- Hugo & Cat summer party! Good times are had as always.
- Booked a trip to Spain for a surfing holiday with my lovely lady friends from kickboxing!
- Explored Kew Gardens for the first time with my friend Keith on a lovely bank holiday weekend.
- Went to a burlesque show with Sherrie – was so much fun and a really interesting experience!
- My favourite season arrived and I commenced celebrate by making pumpkin pie, as per usual.
- SURFING IN SPAIN with the ladies. I’d never been on a holiday with friends before, but this turned out to be absolutely epic. I faced a fear of open water, and learned a few things about surfing too.
- My two year anniversary in London came and passed. It’s been a whirlwind so far and it only continues to get better as I expand my horizons. Thank you London and all of my new friends here for what you’ve given me so far.
- The guys at work went to Hong Kong for another Nokia film shoot and brought me back some awesome gifts.
- I decided to move for the first time since I arrived in London. So far this has been an excellent decision as I’m now so much closer to the gym and all my social activities. Transport has also become infinitely easier.
- I made cake again, for the first time in a long time. It was easily the best chocolate cake I’ve ever made.
- Work and kickboxing continue to fill all my empty minutes.
- Two of my kickboxing instructors went to the world’s and brought back championship medals. So proud and privileged to be trained by them!
- Back to Helsinki for a couple days again – always love this! Unfortunately the trips are always a bit too short for my liking.
- Kat’s birthday and a great night out in Camden to see Nick’s band Shapes & Colours. Always fun.
- For the first time in my life I coloured my hair. It was time for a change and a little adventure. Turns out I love myself as a redhead and so do a lot of other people. 😀
- Moved into my new home in North London. Now I will have more time to sleep and get to my social events quicker – boom!
- Kat and I geeked out and went to the Warner Brothers Studio Tour of the Making of Harry Potter where we squealed with delight over butterbeer, props, and sets.
- I began a countdown for not only my holidays but also for Morgan’s arrival.
- Hugo & Cat Christmas party whoop whoop!
- Morgan arrives with a satchel full of gifts from home – thanks Mum!
- Christmas with my second family in London was great – it consisted of doing barely anything all day and eating and playing xbox and watching TV. Perfect.
- New Years Eve was spent in a quiet pub with friends and there was no fuss made – just how I like it. Didn’t have to worry about crowds or stupid people on underground transportation. Perfect.